The Home Care Packages Program helps you to live independently in your own home for as long as you can. The Australian Government provides a subsidy towards a package, allowing you to select an approved provider of your choice to deliver services and provide case management to meet your individual needs.
There are four levels of Home Care Packages:
Level 1 (basic) support may include cleaning, gardening, transport, social support or help with meal preparation.
Level 2 (low-level) may include the same as level 1 but with a nurse to visit and assist with medication management or wound care, twice a week.
Level 3 (intermediate) may include middle-level health care, as well as the same support as level 1 and 2. Health care management may include catheter or continence management, assistance with mobility equipment such as walking frames and bed rails, or on call support from medical staff.
Level 4 (high care) includes high care needs such as 24 hour support from key medical personal (i.e. doctor/nurse) , assistance with feeding, enteral feeding formula and equipment or allied referrals.
Your home care package will be determined depending on your assessed needs, and will be approved by assigned government bodies. Each level of home care packages provides a different subsidy amount. This amount is paid to your selected approved home care provider with the subsidy contributing to the total cost of your services and care delivery. It is expected that you will contribute to the cost of your care where your personal circumstances allow.
Our experienced team can provide support with the assessment and eligibility process. Give us a call on 1800Candice so we can walk you through the process.
Home care package restrictions
There are care and services that you may not use home care package funds for:
- items that would normally be purchased out of general income such as household bills (e.g. electricity and water) or appliances
- buying food, except as part of enteral feeding requirements
- payment for permanent accommodation, including assistance with home purchase, mortgage payments or rent
- payment of home care fees
- payment of fees or charges for other types of care funded or jointly funded by the Australian Government
- home modifications or assets that are not related to your care needs
- travel and accommodation for holidays
- cost of entertainment activities, such as club memberships and tickets to sporting events
- gambling activities
- payment for services and items covered by the Medicare Benefits Schedule or the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme.
Consumer directed care
All home care packages must be provided on a consumer directed care basis. Which means we, Candice Care, will work with you to identify a home care package tailored to meet your needs so you can live a life of your choosing.